"Going green" has become an important goal over the last several years and you may think that you're doing your part by moving away from traditional print-based marketing and moving farther and farther into the digital realm. You might be surprised to learn, however, that your definition of "going green" and the definition of tree farmers all over the world are two completely different things. If you really want to save trees, choose print and all the benefits it has to offer.
It's Okay to Print
Did you know that printing actually helps to sustain our forests for a large number of different reasons? For starters, growing and harvesting trees is an enterprise that provides jobs for millions of people all over the world. Thanks to the improved forest management techniques that we're using, we now have more trees today than we did even 100 years ago. We know and understand that forests are great for the environment - they provide clean air and water, wildlife habitats for animals, carbon storage and more. By using trees to create materials like paper (which is biodegradable, renewable, and ultimately sustainable), we're making room for new trees that become a valuable part of an industry that provides a livelihood for countless people, and sustains a delicate ecosystem as well.
If we have more trees now than we did in 1900, it means that the ways in which we use paper has NOT affected our forests in a bad way. Using paper products means that old trees get to be harvested and put to good use. Forests get replanted with new trees that serve a very real benefit to the environment. By increasing the need for trees by keeping paper and print marketing relevant, you're actually playing a very important role in helping the environment sustain itself and continue to be naturally healthy well into the future. Save a tree and choose print.
How We're Trying to Save Our Planet
Printing is a renewable resource
Through the years, we have been a leader in managing our business in a way that impacts the environment in a friendly, positive, and thoughtful manner. Long before others were paying attention to environmental issues, we implemented the following Environmental Vision and Management Policy:
- Virtually 100% of our paper purchases are from paper companies that harvest trees from decades-old tree farms specifically planted, harvested, and replanted to provide an ongoing source of non-public paper pulp. These tree farms not only ensure a sustainable, ongoing paper supply but also assure the land they use will remain undeveloped commercially.
- We recycle tons and tons of paper every month. Frankly, it is a lot of work and effort, with a buy-back revenue stream that covers only a small fraction of the cost. That's OK, though, because we believe it to be a very valuable effort.
We use recycled papers whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.
- We use biodegradable inks and toners that are recyclable.
- We use chemicals and solvents that are almost 100% water soluble, biodegradable, and recyclable. They are often more expensive, but we consider these products to be a wise investment.
- We have implemented programs to reduce our electrical consumption and to minimize the use of all raw materials.
- A very important way we urge our customers to partner with us in our environmental efforts is by using our digital/Internet ordering, proofing, and reordering system. Use of our digital ordering system enables all of us to save substantial amounts of gasoline and other raw materials.
If you have suggestions about other ways we could further limit our environmental impact, please call us with your ideas.